Substance Abuse Specialist-Early Morning Shift-Metro MDT (3393)
Company: PATH (People Assisting The Homeless)
Location: San Jose
Posted on: September 15, 2023
JR 3393Substance Abuse Specialist VILos Angeles, CA 90004Salary:
$24.04 to $35.16 per hour / plus $2.41 pay differential -Pay
Frequency: -24 Pay Periods Per YearFull TimeNon-ExemptDriving
PATH is seeking candidates passionate about helping others make a
positive change in their lives to join our Metro Street Outreach
team as the Substance Abuse Specialist VI at the RHC Location.
ABOUT PATHSince its foundation in 1984, PATH (People Assisting The
Homeless) has pioneered bold and effective approaches to assist
people experiencing homelessness. PATH operates services throughout
California, connecting our clients to a comprehensive continuum of
homelessness prevention, street outreach, employment preparation
and placement assistance, individualized case management,
supportive services, interim housing, and permanent supportive
ABOUT OUR TEAMOur Street Outreach programs to work identify and
build relationships with individuals currently experiencing
homelessness and living on the streets. These programs utilize
PATH's Street Outreach Integrated Care approach to assist clients
in breaking the cycle of homelessness by providing field-based
interventions, case management and supportive services.
ABOUT THE JOBAs part of the Street Outreach team, the Substance
Abuse Specialist VI utilize their experience and expertise to
provide case management and supportive services specific to
substance abuse to individuals experiencing homelessness and
substance use challenges.
Position Responsibilities include: -
- Conduct nightly outreach at Metro stations, bus stops, and
aboard trains to develop relationships and build rapport with
clients in order to assist them with finding a home.
- Conduct VI-SPDAT (Vulnerability Index- Service Prioritization
Decision Assistance Tool) assessments for all new clients in order
to connect them to proper intervention and services and document
results in the HMIS
- Conduct substance abuse assessments and provide referrals as
- Meet with established clients on a regular basis to review,
evaluate, and support goal completion. -
- Respond within specific contract timeframes to requests for
street outreach services and send follow-up information to the
requestor and the supervisor.
- Collaborate with community substance abuse and mental health
providers to ensure seamless referral services.
- Work with local law enforcement and interim service providers
to ensure a smooth transition from street living to interim
- Provide street-based case management services that are designed
to prepare and connect homeless clients to long-term supportive
services and achieve their goals including:
- Assistance with the establishment of personal benefits
including (GR, SSI, TANF, Veterans Pension, etc.).
- Assistance with obtaining various forms of identification
including birth certificates and social security cards.
- Provision of employment assistance, housing referrals, and
health related assistance, as identified on the ISP.
- Assistance with applications for supportive and subsidized
housing and prospect potential locations for affordable rental
- Provision of and/or assistance with connection and access to
any other services that assist with improving quality of life, such
as mental and physical health services
WHAT YOU BRINGWe're looking for candidates that:
- Ability to work effectively independently and as a part of a
- Ability to exercise mature and professional judgement.
- Good problem-solving and conflict-resolution skills
- High level of motivation and self-starting demeanor with the
ability to coordinate multiple tasks and projects in a fast-paced
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability to adhere to HIPAA and
all other confidentiality requirements.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field.
- Certification in substance use counseling (e.g., CATC, SUDCC,
- (Two) 2 years required working directly with substance use
- Professional Experience in the substance abuse field.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with advanced and
evidence-based interventions including, but not limited to:
- Harm Reduction
- Motivational Interviewing
- Critical Time Intervention
- Housing First
MANDATORY REQUIREMENTSRegardless of qualifications, candidates
- Have employment eligibility verification
- Have or be able and willing to obtain CPR/First Aid
- Provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination
- Successfully complete the following as a condition of hire:
- Tuberculosis Test
- Background Screening
- Drug Test
DRIVINGDriving is an essential function of this position. To meet
the employment requirements for this role, all candidates must:
- Have reliable transportation
- A valid driver's license
- Proof of insurance and ownership for personal vehicles used
during work duties
- The ability to qualify for PATH's insurance coverage
Keywords: PATH (People Assisting The Homeless), San Jose , Substance Abuse Specialist-Early Morning Shift-Metro MDT (3393), Other , San Jose, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!