Custodian (4 Positions)
Company: San Jose State University
Location: San Jose
Posted on: September 23, 2022
Custodian (4 Positions) Apply now
Job no: 498809 Work type: Staff Location: San Jos Categories: Unit
5 - CSUEU - Operations and Support Services, Custodial/Facilities,
Probationary, Full Time Job SummaryThese positions will work
weekends. Please see work schedule below.Under the work lead
direction of the Lead Custodians and the direct supervision of the
Assistant Director for Custodial Operations, the Custodian performs
all duties in their specific assigned work area and is responsible
for performing duties in other work areas as needed in University
Housing Services. Work areas are located within residential
facilities and/or administrative offices and include the Classics
residence halls, the Campus Village residential facilities and/or
the trash/recycling rooms. Incumbents are responsible for
maintaining the appearance and cleanliness of their work areas. The
Custodian is required to use safe, approved methods and
frequencies, which have been approved by University Housing
Services. This position will be assigned to work weekends.Key
- Clean community and common area bathroom
- Perform housekeeping duties
- Maintain appearance and cleanliness of residential
- Coordinate residential facilities trash and recycling
- Coordinate Overnight Guest Program Needs
- Motorized Equipment UsageKnowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to read and write at a level appropriate to the duties
of the position.
- Ability to exercise care and follow instructions when using
janitorial supplies or equipment as well as follow simple oral and
- Ability to multi-task to support the One Stop Shop model of
Higher Education Customer Service and coordinate deadlines.
- Ability to use proper equipment including vacuum, high speed
floor buffing machine, regular floor buffer, standard carpet
extractor, portable upholstery cleaner and wet/dry vacuum.
- Excellent customer service and public relation skills.
- Ability to perform complex tasks involving independent
judgment, accuracy and speed.
- Ability to understand, interpret and apply policies and
regulations in specific situations.
- Ability to observe rules, regulations and expectations to
ensure a safe working environment.
- Ability to work alone as well as with other staff when assigned
to do so.
- Ability to work flexible hours, weekdays and weekends as
- Ability to handle a high degree of customer contact.
- Ability to be fingerprintedmust not have been convicted of a
crime in which punishment could have been imprisonment in a federal
or state prison.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle
sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Ability to work alternative work schedule including weekdays,
weekends and some holidays
- Ability to complete Defensive Drivers Training Program provided
by State of California for CSU campuses.
- Possession of a valid California Driver's License for the
operation of any vehicle or equipment.Required Qualifications
- Ability to communicate verbally at a level appropriate to the
duties of the position; ability to follow simple oral and written
directions; ability to understand chemical/product mixing ratios
and ability to label containers accordingly.License A valid
driver's license is required for this position. Out of state
candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of
California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance
with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.Once
hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver
Training Program provided by the State of California for California
State University campuses.Preferred Qualifications
- High School Diploma and/or equivalent training
- Experience working in a residential or university
- Experience working with custodial cleaning equipment
- 2 years of experience as a custodianCompensationClassification:
CustodianAnticipated Hiring Salary: $2,800 - $3,003/monthHiring
Range: $2,705/month - $4,196/monthSan Jos State University offers
employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35%
of your base salary. For more information on programs available,
please see the Employee Benefits Summary
.Application ProcedureClick Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online
Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- ResumeAll applicants must apply within the specified
application period: January 25, 2021 through February 14, 2021.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received
after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of
the university.Work Schedule Saturday Wednesday, 8:00 am to
InformationSatisfactory completion of a background check (including
a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will
issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate,
which may be rescinded if the background check reveals
disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the
candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to
satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the
continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the
position on a contingent basis.The standard background check
includes: criminal check, employment and education verification.
Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may
be required. All background checks are conducted through the
university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some
positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs
associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or
certification(s) will be required at time of hire.SJSU IS NOT A
SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B
VISAS)All San Jos State University employees are considered
mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect
Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set
forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of
employment.Equal Employment StatementSan Jos State University
(SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer
committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry,
citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender,
genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national
origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation,
transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable
federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students,
faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the
Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state
laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education
programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off
campus).Advertised: January 25, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard
TimeApplications close: Back to search results Apply now
Refer a friend
Keywords: San Jose State University, San Jose , Custodian (4 Positions), Other , San Jose, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!