Patent Counsel / Attorney
Location: San Jose
Posted on: June 12, 2021
In a nutshell
San Jose - CA, US
Physics, Electrical engineering, Other job categories
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and
technology to develop lithography machines that are key to
producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We
design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced
machines, which enable our customers - the world's leading
chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of
their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful
consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the
Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United
States including main offices in Chandler Arizona, San Jose and San
Diego California, Wilton Connecticut, and Hillsboro Oregon.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as
defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. 730, et
seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access
such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business
demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are
immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
ASML is looking to hire Patent Attorney responsible for
performing a wide range of patent law functions arising within the
organization. This position will be based in San Jose reporting to
local Senior Patent Counsel. Responsibilities will include managing
ASML's global patent portfolio. In addition, the Patent Attorney
will be partnering with and providing support to product teams,
engineering teams, and management on a variety of IP related
The ideal candidate will have relevant experience including
patent preparation and prosecution, freedom to operate, portfolio
management. Familiarity with petitions and appeals is also
Team information: The Applications Group provides IP services to
Scientists, Engineers and Management involved with the Company's
products covering Computational Lithography, Metrology, and
Patent Attorney will be responsible for working in close
partnership with business units, engineers, cross functional teams
and other peers to provide a wide range of patent law functions
within ASML. This position will be based in San Jose and will
report to the local Senior Patent Counsel. The successful candidate
will be part of ASML's intellectual property team helping to
protect company innovations and mitigate IP risk. This is a great
opportunity to join the local team of a well-established company
with a global presence and get to work on cutting edge issues in an
exciting, fast-paced environment.
- Actively develop and manage a global Patent portfolio
- Evaluate patent and other IP positioning of competitors to
provide risk assessment and mitigation strategies.
- Manage outside counsel to properly draft and prosecute high
quality patent applications, draft petitions, appeals, and/or other
exceptional or non-routine papers as necessary to gain
- Interact with and provide guidance to outside counsel
consistent with ASML objectives and operating guidelines.
- Support execution of Company IP strategies including Patent
filing, risk management and product clearance.
- Interact and work with engineering and business organizations
to provide legal advice and align Patent strategy with business
- Provide guidance and counsel to business teams on a range of
intellectual property matters as requested or deemed
- Evaluate third party Patent infringement claims against ASML
subject matter areas of interest including research, products, or
- Occasionally assist with advising or structuring and/or
negotiating in-bound or out-bound Patent licenses as directed
and/or requested by ASML CIP and/or Company management.
- Provide regular updates to manager.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Should be OK to work extended hours when necessary to complete
projects in a timely fashion.
- Some travel, both domestic and international will be
- Licensed to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.), from an accredited law school with
excellent academic performance.
- Bachelor's Degree in the Engineering or Physical Sciences
disciplines such as Electrical, Mechanical, Systems and Controls
Science, Physics, Materials, or Optics
- Advanced degree in Physics with experience in Optics a
- 3+ years of relevant patent experience.
- Must be licensed to practice before the United States Patent
- Must be licensed to practice law in at least one U.S. state or
the District of Columbia. California preferred.
- Experience with physics, optics, electron optics, and/or
semiconductor processing strongly preferred.
- Patent preparation and prosecution experience is required.
- Experience in the rendering of patentability, non-infringement
opinions, and general risk analysis is required.
- Experience interacting, developing and discussing strategy with
engineers and senior management
- Experience planning and directing administrative staff and
others in activities supporting the ASML's IP work and
- Broad technical knowledge, familiarity with all relevant
- Experience with MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as
on-line research tools.
- Fully functioning in the job independently with only general
- Strong professional drive to take on challenging
- Ability to work proactively and effectively with various teams
across ASML including a diverse group of colleagues and internal
clients in multiple countries.
- Work on complex projects/problems/tasks and demonstrate good
judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining
- Ability to solve a wide range of IP issues in a creative and
- Ability to provide guidance to junior staff members with
aspects of their job.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to translate and statistically analyze data, and
effectively report problems through written and/or graphic
- Excellent judgment and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent client/customer service ethics and skills, with an
advanced understanding of client relationship-building.
- Strong competency with the tools, systems, and procedures
required to accomplish the job.
- Be a team player
Context of the position
This position primarily works in an office environment. It
requires frequent sitting, standing and walking. Daily use of a
computer is required. May stand for extended periods when
facilitating meetings. The physical demands of the position
described herein are essential functions of the job and employees
must be able to successfully perform these tasks for extended
periods. Reasonable accommodations may be made for those
individuals with real or perceived disabilities to perform the
essential functions of the job described
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Learn more about this job
About the job category
- Electrical engineering
- Other job categories
- ASML at a glance
- Working at ASML
- Vision & mission
- Financial results
Keywords: ASML, San Jose , Patent Counsel / Attorney, Other , San Jose, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!