Sr. Scientist Biorepository
Company: Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
Location: San Jose
Posted on: June 12, 2021
The BioRepository Senior Scientist position is based at Roche
Sequencing Solutions in San Jose, CA, and reports to the CLIA
This position will manage day-to-day BioRepository operations,
facilitating delivery on BioRepository service requests at Roche
Sequencing Solutions (RSS). BioRepository service requests include
management of biological material inventory, processing and
characterization, distribution, storage, disposition and return to
- Performs BioRepository duties, with meticulous attention to
details. Works independently to receive large shipments of human
biological samples, segregate, and anonymize consented samples,
discard non-consented samples, consolidate inventory, retrieve
samples, make sample return manifest files and ship specimens back
to the customers (both internal or external).
- Works independently in a validated Laboratory Information
Management System (LIMS) and Biorepository Research Database
(RSSDB), performs advanced database queries and acts as a primary
resource for biological material inventory.
- Contributes to maintaining Key Performance Indicators (KPI),
suggesting refinements in a dynamic environment.
- Resolves problems, establishes and monitors deadlines to ensure
timely completion of work.
- Maintains an accurate inventory of biological materials in the
BioRepository, conducts periodic checks for inventory assessment,
and resolves discrepancies as presented.
- Performs routine lab equipment maintenance including freezers
and temperature monitoring systems
- Follows documentation in accordance with established
procedures, actively participates in establishing new technical
protocols and routinely updates existing documents.
- Evaluates opportunities to simplify, standardize, and
streamline work processes. Determines alternative approaches to
solve problems or develops new perspectives on existing
- Works under general supervision, to conduct and monitor
experiments utilizing established and published procedures, and
technical and theoretical understanding. Makes recommendations to
resolve problems encountered during experimental procedures.
Assumes responsibility for the accuracy, quality, and timeliness of
experimental results. Summarizes experimental results, and reviews
conclusions with supervisor/project leader. Communicates results of
experiments in the form of reports and presentations. Keeps
supervisor/project leader informed of project status, particularly
of significant findings and results in critical problem areas.
- Performs work according to established internal safety
guidelines and procedures, and as specified by appropriate external
regulatory agencies (e.g., OSHA).
- BS Degree in Biological Science or related field, or equivalent
combination of education and work experience.
- Minimum 8 years of relevant laboratory experience.
- Requires work with dry ice, -20 degree freezers, and human
- Ability to lift objects up to 30 lbs.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Organizational skills, detail and results-oriented
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; able to read,
write and speak English
- Ability to work in a fast paced and dynamic environment with
efficiency; capable of handling multiple projects
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to consistently project a
positive and professional attitude
- Passionate about the importance of biorepository
- Proficient in using e-mail and a basic knowledge and
willingness to perfect understanding of Microsoft Word and
- Must be a self-starter with a strong work ethic and
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
Roche is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits
unlawful discrimination based upon an individual's race, color,
religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression,
national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical
condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability and need an accommodation in connection
with the on-line application process, please email us at
Keywords: Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, San Jose , Sr. Scientist Biorepository, Other , San Jose, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!