COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST (REMOTE)
Company: Accion Opportunity Fund
Location: San Jose
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Small businesses uplift communities and anchor local economies,
while creating opportunities for themselves, their families, their
employees, and our neighborhoods. Yet entrepreneurs who are people
of color, women, and immigrants often struggle to secure capital
and resources, as they are systematically shut out from traditional
Accion Opportunity Fund is an unparalleled financial support system
that provides these small business owners with access to capital,
networks, and coaching. We work to build inclusive and accessible
options for these determined business owners. For over 25 years we
have served a client base that is nearly 90% women, people of
color, or immigrants.
In addition to providing resources and loans to small businesses,
we also conduct original research, advocate for policy changes, and
finance community construction projects in low-income neighborhoods
through our New Markets Tax Credit program.
Together, we are building a diverse, vibrant community where
opportunity, knowledge, and access to capital are within reach.
For more information about us, visit https://aofund.org/.
Reportingto the Vice President for Partnerships & Development,
Accion Opportunity Fund (AOF) is seeking anexperienced and dynamic
Communications Specialist to support theorganizations
fundraising and communications teams. The ideal candidate willhave
experience researching and writing compelling narratives under
tightdeadlines for diverse audiences and communicating
organizational impact throughstorytelling. They are proactive,
energized by engaging with others, valuemutual respect in
discourse, and have a natural curiosity about how to achievegoals
and higher aspirations. They will be passionate about
entrepreneurship,racial equity and justice, and community and
economic development. Spanishbilingual preferred. This position can
be fully remote with occasional domestictravel required
- Research and write grant proposals, reports, concept notes,
andimpact narrative. This includes proactively seeking out and
interviewing keystakeholders such as community partners, loan
clients, staff, and others who areinvolved in our work and
identifying compelling stories that the organizationand funders can
use in our work.
- Work with teams across the organization on key
communicationsdeliverables for funders, including crafting media
pitches around key momentsand gathering data to be responsive to
funder and media communications requests.
- Proactively reach out to AOFs clients across diverse
geographiesand industries to identify clients to feature in client
stories on our website,funder reports, social media, and media
pitches. This includes responding undertight deadlines to requests
for story information and developing creativesolutions to meet
stakeholder communications needs.
- Research and stay abreast of key trends, reports, and
informationthat demonstrates the challenges the organization is
trying to address forsmall business and the impact of small
business on the broader economiclandscape. This includes tracking
and keeping updated key statistics and datathat can be drawn upon
for fundraising and impact narratives.
- Support marketing team on social media efforts,
includingproposing social media campaigns and posts around key
communications moments toexpand the reach of the organization.
- Draft communications products and content for diverse
audiences,including funders and small business owners. This may
include annual reports,e-newsletters, campaign collateral, flyers,
impact story highlights around keymoments, or organizational
responses to issues in the news.
- Draft talking points, briefing documents, and other
internalcommunications materials to support team members.
- Assist with special events as assigned.
- This can be a fully REMOTE (work from home) position.
Highly qualified candidates will share Accion Opportunity
Fundscommitment to its mission and will embody the organizations
core values bringinga broad range of skills and experience
including, but not limited to:
- BA/BS required and a minimum of five (5) years of writing and
reportingexperience, ideally either for nonprofit organizations
and/or as amission-driven journalist. A combination of education
and experiencemay be considered.
- Excellent writing, editing, research and communications
skills,with an emphasis on proposal writing for funding. Ability to
convey complex ideas through brief, simplematerials. Ability to
understand the organizations target audience and developeffective
communications strategies and materials.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills
andcomfort level with conducting outreach and interviews to develop
- Experience with digital tools instorytelling.
- Experience collaborating withmultiple stakeholders to integrate
input and feedback form a wide audience to achieve work
- Proventrack record of exceeding goals; evidence of the ability
to make strategicdecisions; ability to navigate and balance
interests of multiple stakeholders.
- Abilityto maintain high level of organization, to manage
several projects at once, andto meet deadlines. Attention to detail
and ability to consistently followthrough, with determined
self-motivation and autonomy.
- Evidenceof sound judgment, discretion, and highest ethical
- An entrepreneurialmindset, self-motivated, flexible, creative,
comfortable in a fast-paced workculture.
- Works well under tight deadlinesin a fast-paced
- Familiarity with and interest inentrepreneurship, community
development, and racial and social justice.
- Spanish bilingual preferred.
Perks & Benefits
Our mission is what motivates us to come to workeach day. We
know that happy employees are productive employees, which is whywe
offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Competitive salary commensurate withexperience.
- An environment that values work-life balance.
- 100% company-funded Medical, Dental,Vision, Life & Disability
coverage for employees (Based upon your planselection). 90%
company-funded dependent coverage (Based upon your
- Voluntary benefits with payrolldeduction for Supplemental Life
& AD&D insurance, Auto/Renters/Homeownersinsurance, Pet
Insurance, and Legal plans.
- Tax-deferred & Roth 403(b) Retirement Plan withemployer match.
Employer match increases with tenure.
- Paid vacation days (increased with tenure), 12 paidholidays,
and 10 Sick days, and family leave days per year.
Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply,especially BIPOC.
Accion Opportunity Fund is an Equal OpportunityEmployer.
Keywords: Accion Opportunity Fund, San Jose , COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST (REMOTE), Other , San Jose, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!