Director of Organizational Development
Company: Sacred Heart Community Service
Location: San Jose
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Organizational Development Director
Sacred Heart Community Service (SHCS) located in San Jos, CA is
looking for a proven leader to spearhead the development and
implementation of a professional development infrastructure for the
organization and its strategic partners. The goal is rooting an
anti-racist learning culture focused on challenging and changing
economic, political, and cultural systems which have served to
privilege some while oppressing many. The Organizational
Development Director helps align programs with the Sacred Heart's
strategic plan by implementing systems for orienting, training, and
coaching staff and management to engage and organize our members
and allies. The position will assist efforts to center the voice of
members in organizational decision-making, including providing
support for the Leadership Council and advisory committees. The
person in this position must be highly organized and possess strong
oral and written communication skills, the ability to work flexibly
and creatively, and have a demonstrated track record in program
management and training. The ideal candidate must be equally
committed to our vision of a community united to ensure every child
and adult is free from poverty, an approach of driving policy
change through transformational leadership development, and
developing programs through an anti-racism and anti-oppression
worldview. For over 56 years, SHCS has been one of the leading
institutions addressing poverty in Santa Clara County through a
strategy that combines addressing the consequences of poverty
through impactful programs while building power with people to push
for systemic change.
The Organizational Development Director spearheads the
development and implementation of a comprehensive professional
development strategy for SHCS stakeholders and strategic allies.
The Director helps SHCS' transformation to center racial equity,
liberation, and power building in its culture. The position leads
efforts of the Senior Management Team (Senior Team) to develop,
implement, and evaluate systems for orienting, training, coaching
and mentoring staff, managers, and leaders in alignment with Sacred
Heart's strategic and operating plans. The position directly
facilitates and oversees trainings and communities of practice. The
Director addresses organizational priorities by leading the
development of special projects and programs as needed.
Description of Duties
Training/Professional Development (40-50%)
- Spearheads the design of a comprehensive orientation and
training infrastructure for staff and members including research,
analysis, and project management.
- Leads efforts to develop and improve training curricula,
including surveying stakeholders, goal setting, securing and
creating content and course materials, identifying, training, and
supporting instructional team (internal stakeholders, partners, and
consultants), and archiving content.
- Oversees the continuous improvement and execution of staff
orientation process ("rotations") to facilitate internal culture
building and integration.
- Directly implements training sessions including planning,
coordination, facilitation, and evaluation of staff meetings,
retreats, Solidarity Summit, and special trainings for staff,
board, advisory and action committees.
- Facilitates and supports communities of practice.
- Supports staff wellness activities, including workshops, staff
appreciation, team building, and support systems.
- Oversees the development and implementation of policies and
practices to ensure constituents are able to access appropriate
trainings and rotations.
- Oversees evaluation of professional development architecture
and components, including setting performance benchmarks, data
collection, feedback processes, analysis, and reporting.
- Spearheads management training efforts to support the alignment
of programs with strategic and operating plans, including direct
facilitation/training support of SHCS Managers' Round Table, and
individual coaching support for managers and directors as
- Supports capacity building and implementation of member
engagement, leadership development, and feedback systems, including
curriculum support, staff training, and evaluation.
- Supports planning, execution, and follow-up of Senior Team,
Board of Directors, and Leadership Council meetings and retreats,
including meeting facilitation, and trainings as needed.
- Supports the development of strategic and operating plans, with
an emphasis on organizational stakeholder engagement and
- Supports fund development efforts to sustain and grow
professional development system, including creation and
dissemination of impact metrics and results to stakeholders,
reporting, donor/partner cultivation and stewardship.
Strategic Partnerships (15-20%)
- Supports the development and implementation of a comprehensive
regional leadership strategy to engage and develop the ecosystem of
community-based organizations and allies working collectively to
challenge white supremacy culture both internally and through
collective public policy campaigns.
- Leads the development, implementation, evaluation, and
continuous improvement of trainings and communities of practice
accessible to sister organizations participating in the Race Equity
Action Leadership (REAL) coalition and Homelessness Prevention
- Oversees the recruitment, engagement, and administrative
systems for partner/ally training and development efforts.
- Supports and implements customized training support and
coaching for REAL and HPS partners and stakeholders.
- Supports REAL coalition and campaigns, including meeting
participation, facilitation, stakeholder engagement and
mobilization, as needed.
Special Projects (20-25%)
- Leads the development and implementation of special projects
and events, including creation and monitoring timelines and work
- Provides interim program management and leadership, as needed,
including structure, supervision, support, training, evaluation,
and professional development.
- Coordinates research, program design, outreach, partner
cultivation, fund development of new programs and
- Manages or supports special projects by providing direction,
structure, facilitation, training, support, and feedback to
assigned project team.
- Supports Associate Director in efforts to cultivate member
voice in organizational decision-making including support for
Leadership Council, advisory committees, and member feedback
- Supports the planning and implementation of SHCS programs,
events, training, and outreach efforts.
- Serves as member of the Senior Management Team.
- Attends Board of Directors, Board subcommittees. Leadership
Council, and Advisory Committees as assigned.
- Acts as a "mandated reporter" by maintaining strict adherence
to the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Law.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Strong commitment to our vision of uniting community to ensure
every child and adult is free from poverty;
- 3-5 years of executive/senior management experience in human
services, public health, education, community development,
community organizing, or equivalent experience;
- 3-5 years of direct program management experience;
- 2-3 years of direct experience in training and curriculum
- Superior verbal, written, and presentation skills;
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated, ability to
multi-task, and provide quick responses;
- Four-year degree or equivalent experience;
- Proficiency with CRM databases (such as Salesforce), Google
Workspace Suite, MS Office Suite;
- Demonstrated expertise in PowerPoint or equivalent presentation
- The position may require you to stand and walk for prolonged
periods of time;
- The position also requires computer use up to 6-8 hours per
- Must be insurable under the SHCS driving insurance
- Must successfully pass a DMV and background check.
- Bilingual in Spanish/English strongly desired;
- Direct experience working with low-income populations through
community organizing, human services, or policy advocacy
- Proficiency with on-line education and training platforms;
- Graphic design software proficiency;
Position is exempt, full-time and reports to the Executive
Keywords: Sacred Heart Community Service, San Jose , Director of Organizational Development, Other , San Jose, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!