Principal Hardware Systems Engineer
Location: San Jose
Posted on: December 5, 2019
Calix platforms empower our customers to build new business models,
rapidly deploy new services and make the promise of the smart home
and business a reality. This position is critical to the evolution
of smart home products.
Calix is looking for a highly experienced systems engineer to
define and manage requirements for the Calix premises Optical
Network Terminals (ONT) and Residential Gateway (RG) product lines.
This position has a focus on technology, architecture and
functional requirements for residential and business optical and
copper based gateways in both the telecom and MSO market spaces.
This role fully engages with product line leadership and
development to both specify and ensure implementation of Calix
systems requirements which are architecturally efficient, robust,
scalable, reusable and extensible.Responsibilities:
- Develop precise, testable, product requirements which tightly
couple to market trends, needs and priorities.
- Provide leadership and technical direction in analyzing complex
development issues. This includes the ability to define
requirements, understand system impact, architect features and
- Develop or contribute to an Architecture Design Document in
collaboration with development.
- Take a leadership role in guiding application usability and
- Assist in building competence within the development
- Provide technical direction on a variety of ONT/RG technologies
such as Wi-Fi, PON, DSL, and IoT.
- Balance market application and feature needs within design
- Understand industry direction and provide technical input to
- Participate in hardware, software and test design reviews.
- Make recommendations for technology selections as part of new
product development efforts.
- BS in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science (MS
- 10 years' experience as a Hardware or Systems Engineer and/or
lead architect in a telecom and / or datacomm development
- Subject matter expert in Wi-Fi, PON, G.fast, Ethernet, VoIP,
POE, consumer electronics, modems, residential gateways.
- Must have knowledge of requirements allocation, tracking and
- Experience with definition of residential and business gateway
- Experience with board level hardware design
- Experience with human factors.
- Experience with IP/Ethernet networks
- Able to decompose complex issues into understandable, intuitive
- Able to assess risk and limitations in existing solutions, and
identify areas of opportunity for mitigating these risks and
limitations, and improving overall solution.
- Effective in providing technical leadership and direction.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the
ability to communicate effectively and efficiently. Demonstrated
ability to clearly communicate and document complex systems and
- Works well with management to communicate concept, status, as
well as with engineering and test teams to clarify solutions,
- Experience as a development team leader for small to medium
Keywords: Calix, San Jose , Principal Hardware Systems Engineer, Other , San Jose, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!