Software Engineer, Server Infrastructure
Company: Clover Network, Inc.
Posted on: September 19, 2019
About CloverEvery single day, Clover devices handle the core
point-of-sale and card processing for hundreds of thousands of
merchants. Behind the scenes, we operate a cloud platform providing
processing, storage and collaboration for merchants, application
developers, service providers and our merchants' customers. This
forms the backbone of millions of payment interactions between
merchants and their customers daily.
Clover is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We
do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national
origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran
status, or disability status.About YouYou are an accomplished
technologist specializing in the design and development of secure,
stable, and scalable software systems. You have honed your craft
after years of trial, error, and concerted practice. You take pride
in your work, tempered with enough humility to never stop
improving. You strike the right balance of building for today while
anticipating the needs of tomorrow. You are disciplined and
deliberate; adaptive and resourceful; driven by curiosity;
passionate yet rational; opinionated but not argumentative.About
UsWe are a small team of experienced software engineers tasked with
ensuring that Clover's rapid growth is sustainable over the long
term. Our team solves for cross-cutting non-functional requirements
like the security, scalability, and fault tolerance of Clover's
back-end services. Together we design and develop the core
architectural components, libraries, frameworks, tooling, and
distributed systems at the heart of Clover's global payment
All members of our team have the opportunity to provide significant
impact internally at Clover as well as externally-both for the
merchants we serve, and for their customers all over the world.Our
- We recently completed a project to horizontally shard our
transactional (payment) database cluster, which had grown to 10+ TB
in size. Next up is building a fully autonomous service for
rebalancing merchant data across the shards to distribute load and
eliminate hot spots.
- We just finished lifting-and-shifting our production
infrastructure from private data centers to the public cloud in an
effort to streamline our global expansion. Now we're revisiting our
architecture, processes, and tooling in order to better take
advantage of the cloud environment.
- We are actively working on the design, development, and
deployment of data pipeline infrastructure to support richer
analytics and reporting for our merchants and internal business
needs. Our focus is on its security, scalability, reliability, and
- We are paving the road towards a decomposed architecture of
horizontal core services (like authentication, authorization,
placement, tokenization, and cross-device data replication) and
vertical product services (like device management, merchant
boarding, inventory propagation, and customer loyalty
- We already have a comprehensive suite of functional unit and
integration tests, and are now focused on improving our automated
stress tests and supporting infrastructure. That involves building
the tools to spin up full production-scale environments, synthesize
load, perform fault injection, and to collect, analyze, and surface
test results to help drive continual improvement of performance and
- Curiosity is contagious.
- "It works" is not good enough.
- Autonomy does not mean isolation.
- Guidance is better than prescription.
- Brilliance is welcome. Toxicity is not.
- Java for back-end services.
- Python for integration and stress tests.
- MySQL for OLTP. Snowflake for OLAP.
- Kafka for stream processing.
- Memcached for caching (duh).
- Redis for ephemeral shared data structures.
- Wavefront and ELK for operational visibility.
- Google (GCP) as our cloud service provider.
- Docker for building containers. Kubernetes for running
- Netty for speaking HTTP, behind HAProxy for load balancing.
This is the Clover of today. You can help shape the Clover of
Keywords: Clover Network, Inc., San Jose , Software Engineer, Server Infrastructure, IT / Software / Systems , Sunnyvale, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!