Senior Software Engineer
Company: Cisco Systems
Location: San Jose
Posted on: July 16, 2019
Meraki Software Engineers breathe life into our cloud-managed
networking devices, which range from switches, routers, and
wireless access points to desktop phones and security cameras. We
leverage real-time telemetry from thousands of deployed networks
spanning the globe to continuously improve the performance and
stability of our products.
Platform bring-up Engineers take the lead in building new Meraki
products by integrating everything from bootloaders to web servers
on prototype hardware. Our device firmware is built on Linux and
open-source software. We work individually and in small teams to
release several new products each year.
As a Senior Software Engineer focused on platform bring-up, you
- Own projects from block-diagram concepts, to prototype boards
that don't boot, all the way to shipping product.
- Collaborate with our Hardware Engineering team on component
selection and high-level architecture for new Meraki products.
- Collaborate with our manufacturing partners to develop secure,
reliable, and scalable manufacturing processes.
- Integrate vendor board support packages and software
development kits with our firmware and build system.
- Develop, port, and debug Linux device drivers.
- When things don't go quite as planned—a board doesn't boot, an
LED doesn't light, a fan doesn't spin—use a JTAG debugger or logic
analyzer or work with the hardware team to debug the problem.
- Collaborate with other Platform Bring-up Engineers across
product teams to continually improve our firmware design,
development, and deployment practices.
You are an ideal candidate if you:
- Have 3+ years professional experience programming in C or
- Have strong systems and networking foundational knowledge
(systems architecture, memory hierarchy, storage subsystems, LANs,
- Have expert knowledge of embedded systems development concepts,
including cross-platform development and build tools (GNU
toolchain, OpenWRT, buildroot, Yocto), bootloaders (U-Boot,
coreboot, UEFI), kernel configuration, device drivers, device
- Know common bus protocols like I2C, SPI, and MDIO.
- Are comfortable using network protocol analyzers, logic
analyzers, hardware debuggers, and source-level debuggers to
troubleshoot problems at all layers of the stack.
- Have experience with ethernet switching chipsets (i.e.
- Have experience reading schematics and data sheets.
Bonus points for:
- Experience writing device drivers.
- Upstreaming Linux patches.
- Experience with multi-threaded or parallel
Keywords: Cisco Systems, San Jose , Senior Software Engineer, IT / Software / Systems , San Jose, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!