Project Manager , General Building- San Jose, CA
Company: Overaa Construction
Location: San Jose
Posted on: November 11, 2019
Job DescriptionOveraa Construction is seeking a Project Manager
with 5 - 10 years experience in general building projects,
including office, lab and healthcare to join our team in our San
Jose office. We have openings for candidates that seek to join an
established, well-respected Bay Area company in a growing and
dynamic regional office based in the South Bay. Overaa was ranked a
Bay Area Best Places to Work three years in a row.
Overaa is a design/build contractor specializing in a variety of
market sectors including commercial, education, municipal,
healthcare, industrial, energy, and transportation. We are a
self-performing general contractor known for our concrete
expertise. We are looking for team members to be part of a unique
family culture that emphasizes collaboration and innovation
throughout all phases of project delivery.
As the leader of an individual Project Team, the Project Manager is
responsible for the planning and management of projects including
preconstruction activities, scheduling, estimating, cost control,
documentation control, jobsite production, and customer relations.
Project Manager may also be assigned responsibilities in
estimating, RFP and proposal development, preconstruction services
as well as other business development and company objectives.
Project Manager is responsible for delivering a successful project
from preconstruction through final completion within the context of
Overaa's company culture and values.
Responsibilities and Authority
Reports to the Project Management Team Leader.
- Works as a team with Project Superintendent to plan and execute
- The Project Superintendent reports to the Project Manager for
project business including project strategy, contractual issues,
scheduling and execution of the work. The Superintendent is
responsible for scheduling of work, direction of field activities,
safety, and supervision of field crews.
- Responsible for directing, supervising, coaching and mentoring
of direct reports including Project Managers, Project Engineers,
Project Accountants, Team Coordinators and other team
- May be responsible for managing more than one project at a
- Acts as the principal company representative on assigned
projects. Promotes positive stakeholder relationships at official
functions, at jobsites, and in consultant and subcontractor
- As a key member of a new regional office, the project manager
is expected to develop and grow business relationships and provide
preconstruction estimating and management as required.
Project Manager Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Team Leader, develops a job-specific
buyout strategy. Executes buyout strategy through analysis of
subcontractor bids to ensure coverage and compliance with project
- Assumes responsibility for developing project budgets, cost
control and tracking of project costs, including developing
accurate and actionable monthly project profit
- Proactively Manages Claims and Change Orders. Takes appropriate
actions to deal with project impacts, incorporates the results into
updating project budgets and timelines, and notifies the owner in
accordance with RFP requirements.
- Assumes responsibility for the master scheduling process
including upfront collaboration with all stakeholders
(Superintendent, Subcontractors, etc.) and integrating manloading
schedules, milestone schedules, and contract schedules.
- Leads communication with stakeholders on issues and makes
recommendations for resolution or process improvement
- Subcontractor Management including implementing subcontract
agreements with knowledge of scope and agreed to terms.
- Manages contacts with subcontractors, vendors, and design
partners in an effort to establish and build strategic
relationships that may produce possible partnerships or business
opportunities for the future of the company.
- Manages document control systems by ensuring required
documentation is gathered, processed, and submitted throughout the
preconstruction, construction, and close-out phases (e.g., change
orders, RFIs, ASIs, submittals, drawing logs, warranties and
certificates, LEED documentation, as-builts, etc.)
- Conducts daily (or as required) on-site observations of work
during construction to monitor compliance with safety, quality
control, sustainability measures as well as overall project
- Working collaboratively with the Project Accountant, oversees
the cash flow of assigned project, including owner pay applications
and payment status, subcontractor/consultant invoicing and
- Coordinates with stakeholders in development of a strategic
plan for BIM/VDC requirements, as applicable.
- Material Purchasing.
- Attend and participate in General Project Manager Meetings
monthly, or as scheduled.
- Participate in bi-weekly Project Report Meetings, prepared to
discuss key project indicators, challenges, opportunities and
forward-looking project strategies.
- Leads in developing and supporting the implementation jobsite
security, quality control, and safety programs for each project
with the support of the Superintendent and the Safety and QC
- Using lean strategies, evaluates construction means and methods
for cost effectiveness.
- Under the guidance of the Project Management Team Leader,
participate in the creation and maintenance of a positive team
spirit among the members of the Project Management Team.
- Performs project duties with an appropriate sense of urgency
and a "Can-Do attitude."
- Provide guidance to the projects of other teams as needed and
Project Acquisition Responsibilities
- The Project Manager is expected to perform the following
additional duties when assigned:
- Preconstruction Management
- Business development and strategic partnering with key client
- Attends Corporate events, tradeshows and conferences
Experience and Skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial environment
- Time Management
- Negotiation skills
- Decision Making and Problem Solving
- Works well under pressure
- High level of energy
- Undergraduate degree in Construction Management
Computer Skills Preferred
- Strong skills in the following Software:
- Microsoft Word/Excel/Project
- Project Management Software - Viewpoint preferred
- Primavera Scheduling Software
- Revit or Navisworks
BenefitsAs part of our on-going commitment to our employees, we
offer extremely competitive and comprehensive benefit packages.
- Competitive Salary
- Incentive/Bonus Plans
- Medical Insurance/Pharmacy Coverage
- Dental/Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Pre-Tax Child/Elder Care
- Life Insurance/Long Term Disability
- 401(k)/Profit Sharing
- Paid Holidays and Paid Time Off Benefits
- On-site gym and wellness program
- Corporate Philanthropy -- Overaa Cares Program
- Professional Training - Continuous Improvement Program
Keywords: Overaa Construction, San Jose , Project Manager , General Building- San Jose, CA, Executive , San Jose, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!