Chief Elections Officer
Company: Associated Students, SJSU
Location: San Jose
Posted on: September 16, 2023
If you are unable to complete this application due to a
disability, contact this employer to ask for an accommodation or an
alternative application process. Chief Elections Officer San Jose,
CA, US 5 days ago Requisition ID: 1300 Position Title: Chief
Elections Officer Position Department: Government FLSA Status:
Non-Exempt Full/Part-Time: Part-Time, Temporary (November 2023 -
May 2024) Compensation: $18.00 per hour Reports To: Leadership and
Government Coordinator Associated Students Summary Associated
Students' (A.S.) mission is to support and represent the students
of San Jos-- State University by continuing the organization's
legacy of student advocacy and leadership; to enhance SJSU
students' education through high quality programs and services; and
to prepare students as they move towards a thoughtful and
purposeful life after graduation. A.S. is a non-profit auxiliary
corporation serving the students of San Jose State University whose
primary source of funding is from mandatory student body fees. A.S.
Departments include the Cesar Chavez Community Action Center, Child
Development Center, General Services Center, Human Resources,
Information Technology, Events, Marketing, Print & Technology
Center, Student Government, and Transportation Solutions. Position
Summary Are you a student who has leadership skills you want to
further develop? Do you enjoy coordinating events with other
students? The Student Elections Commission (SEC) is looking to hire
a Chief Elections Officer for the 2022 SEC Elections. Serving on
the Students' Election commission provides students with numerous
benefits, which include:
- Plan and oversee the largest student body election at SJSU
- Having the opportunity to serve and create positive change for
- Learning how to deal with real-world issues
- Obtaining transferable skills, especially in leadership and
- Working with other talented students and having mentors within
the staff/advisors Essential Functions
- Serve as the chairperson of election meetings and events.
- Preside over all meetings and provide an agenda in accordance
with the Gloria Romero Open Meeting Act of 2000 and A.S.
- Prepare the annual SEC budget in accordance with the A.S.
- Serve as the budget authority for the SEC.
- Coordinate and delegate the design the voting materials.
- Develop instructions for poll watchers.
- Maintain office hours during the election cycle (November to
- Submit a written and oral report on the status and activities
of the SEC to the AS Board. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Able to work with others as a team.
- Able to handle conflicts.
- Have an understanding of Robert's Rules of Order.
- Able to make ethical decisions when required.
- Be knowledgeable about the Elections Regulation Manual (ERM)
and Student Conduct Code.
- Understand the structure of the Associated Students. Work
Environment, Hours and Physical Demands
- This job operates in an office environment and routinely uses
standard office equipment.
- Work hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties
demand.Position will maintain 15 hours a week. Hours are decided
with supervisor and are flexible.
- Must be able to operate a computer, including a keyboard and
mouse, and phone.
- Must be able to occasionally lift or carry office or event
products or supplies, up to 40 pounds Required or Preferred
Education and Experience Applicants must fulfill all minimum
qualifications as outlined in University Policy S05-4, Academic
Qualifications for Student Office Holders, which include but are
not limited to the following:
- Must be a matriculated student at SJSU.
- Must be in good standing with SJSU.
- Must not be on probation of any kind (e.g., academic,
administrative, judicial, etc.).
- Must maintain a cumulative on-campus GPA of at least 2.0 while
in office and the semester running for office.
- Must maintain the minimum unit load (6 units for undergraduate
students and 3 units for graduate students).
- Must have no more than 150 cumulative units throughout the term
being served. Failure to obtain the required GPA or maintain the
minimum unit load by the end of the semester makes the student
immediately ineligible to continue to hold office or, in the case
of candidates, ineligible to assume office. Notes to Applicants All
Associated Students employees must be fully vaccinated against
COVID-19 no later than September 30, 2021 , unless they are exempt
from this requirement because an exemption has been granted based
on a medical contraindication or sincerely held religious beliefs.
Fully vaccinated means that an individual has received all
recommended doses of a COVID-19 vaccine that has received Emergency
Use Authorization or full approval from the U.S. Food and Drug
Administration (FDA) and that it has been at least two weeks since
the final recommended dose. The person holding this position is
considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and
Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the
requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21,
2017 as a condition of employment. This position may be exposed to
sensitive or personal information and is required to comply with
the requirements set forth by the Integrated CSU Administrative
Manual 8000 series and Associated Students Information Security
Standards as a condition of employment. A -background -check
-(including a criminal records -check) must be completed
satisfactorily after a conditional offer of employment. Failure to
satisfactorily complete the -background -check -may affect a
conditional offer of employment. Equal Employment Statement
Associated Students provides equal employment opportunities to all
employees and applicants for employment and prohibits
discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race,
color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status,
genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by
federal, state or local laws. A.S. provides reasonable
accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
Applications Applicants must submit a complete application through
the Associated Students applicant tracking system, ADP. Only
complete applications will be considered. - Deadline The deadline
to apply is September 22, 2023.
Keywords: Associated Students, SJSU, San Jose , Chief Elections Officer, Executive , San Jose, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!