Project Manager I
Location: San Jose
Posted on: May 25, 2023
$27.25 - $29.25 / hour
Reporting to the Operations Manager or Transportation Manager, the
Project Manager I is responsible for the management of small to
medium-sized move and install projects. This position supervises
small to medium sized move and install crews to complete projects
for commercial customers. This position is responsible to ensure
the job must stay within bid. Any possible change orders requested
by the customer need to be documented and signed by both the
customer and the Project Manager.
Performs general manual labor and office furniture installation
tasks including loading, unloading, lifting, and moving office
furniture and materials. Assists with a variety of functions with
manual labor tasks as needed. May require loading and unloading
trucks from loading dock, using ramps or on lift-gates. May assist
in pushing furniture, equipment, and cartons on wheels to and from
trucks, offices, and warehouses. May assist in setting & offsetting
goods on equipment. Assists the install/move process by
communicating with account managers, the end users/customer and
other crew members.
This position will also have the responsibility for developing and
implementing strategies to improve employee engagement to foster a
positive work environment for their direct reports.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Checks for start time (for next day's work schedule) with
- Arrives at Corovan dispatch office (or on-site), in complete
uniform every day.
- Obtains daily work assignments from dispatch or operations
- Manages large move and install projects to ensure complete
- Read install plans and identify starting locations, staging
locations and changes.
- Complete red-line and stick drawings as needed.
- Sets, offsets, pushes, pulls, lifts, carries, and moves
furniture, equipment and boxes as required.
- Properly loads and unloads trucks from loading dock, using
ramps or on lift-gates to protect goods being moved and supervises
others doing the same. Completes all paperwork accurately and
neatly and turns into operations daily.
- Handles and stages product, performs detail work and trash-out
functions on install projects. People Management:
- Lead the billing team of both direct and indirect reports to
perform daily functions of billing and cash applications.
- Provide supervisory coaching and guidance to the Transportation
- Develop performance standards to measure and give feedback to
each employee and provide annual performance reviews to each team
member including providing any necessary coaching and
- To hire, train, schedule, support, review, and coach employees
directly accountable to his/her/their position and to maintain the
highest possible level of employee morale and department
- Manage timekeeping system approvals to ensure payroll and
timesheets are accurate for their direct reports and manage
- Organizes and oversees the schedules of employees.
- Partners with Human Resources to handle discipline and
termination of employees in accordance with company policy.
- Update monthly department SMART goals in the Ally software
program. Act as a catalyst for change and improvement in
performance and quality utilizing Six Sigma methodology. Ensure
established policies and procedures are adhered to in accordance
with company procedures and guidelines.
- Provide leadership to the team and set a culture of engaging
and respecting employees. Customer Relations:
- Act as point contact person for all accounting escalation
issues and resolve them in a timely manner. Must be courteous,
helpful, and professional to all existing and potential customers,
by interacting with customers in person and via telephone, fax, and
email to ensure complete customer satisfaction in all matters
related to the operation.
- Maintain excellent customer service with the customers,
vendors, sales, transportation, and operation teams to establish
solid relationships. Training:
- Participate and lead Six Sigma projects, as required to improve
processes and efficiencies.
- Determine the training needs of team and may provide
- Accountable for the management and development of the
- Promote Corovan's Mission and Vision Statements.
- Continuously promotes compliance with company policies and
procedures. Employee Engagement:
- Ensure interactions with staff and customers are professional
at all times to promote company's values and expectations.
- Proactively engage team to promote a positive work environment,
by developing and implementing engagement plans to retain
- Aligning the culture of the department with the overall company
strategy and structure. Safety:
- Ensure the highest standards of safety, productivity and
customer service are exceedingly daily. Other Duties:
- Other duties to meet business needs and requirements as
- Works with confidential data, which, if disclosed, might have
significant internal or external effect.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending
educational workshops; reviewing professional publications;
establishing personal networks; participating in professional
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
- CUSTOMER SERVICE - Manages difficult or emotional customer
situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer
feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and
assistance; meets commitments.
- TEAMWORK - Balances team and individual responsibilities;
exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and
welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit;
puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and
group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's
efforts to succeed.
- MANAGERIAL - Strong Leadership capabilities with experience in
recruiting talent and building an effective team. Experience
coaching to subordinates. Strong result-oriented and can-do
- ORGANIZATION SKILLS - Organization skills with ability to
juggle multiple assignments and tasks, including attention to
details, and the ability to prioritize in a changing environment.
Excellent time management skills.
- INTERPERSONAL SKILLS - Strong interpersonal (verbal and
written) communication skills, positive attitude, flexibility, and
an eagerness to learn new things.
- LANGUAGE SKILLS - Ability to read and interpret documents
written in English such as manuals, procedures, and work
instructions. Ability to effectively communicate well with
customers and coworkers.
- MATHEMATICAL SKILLS - Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and
divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common
fractions, and decimals.
- REASONING ABILITY - Ability to apply common sense understanding
to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram
form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete
variables in standardized situations.
- COMMUNICATION SKILLS - Ability to effectively communicate with
potentially stressful and/or emotional situations. Outstanding
- OTHER SKILLS:
- Exceptional problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to multitasking and able to meet deadlines.
- Excellent customer service skills and interpersonal
- Project and team management/leadership skills and experience.
Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment with
associates. Capability of effective planning and priority setting.
Ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously while
working under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Excellent analytical ability.
- Must be detail oriented.
- Familiarity with six-sigma or other quality improvement
- Ability to handle and safeguard sensitive and confidential
- Must be familiar with basic systems furniture nomenclature and
be able to identify upon sight, the major lines of the three major
manufactures: Steelcase, Herman Miller, and Haworth.
- Must be familiar with project management reports such as Gantt
and Pert charts and understand and interpret cut sheets.
- Must be able to accurately estimate large move and install
projects to determine manpower, trucks, and equipment necessary to
complete the tasks required.
- Must be able to produce red-line and stick drawings.
Understands space planning fundamentals and building Code, along
with training in Giza and Auto Cad to produce simple CAD drawings
- Must be able to conduct a customer pre-move meeting, post
destination signage and communicate all standard move and install
protocol to the customers.
- Must own and bring to work every day, a complete set of
installation tools as defined in Corovan installation policy.
- Must be familiar with laboratory moving including packing of
lab equipment, fine tune and detail work, PC disconnect and
reconnect and must possess good customer service skills.
- Must be familiar with the O&I (Office & Industrial) move
process and understand the move labeling and directional signage.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- BA/BS degree in Project Management; or a combination of
education and equivalent experience may be substituted for
- Minimum 3 years' experience in conducting pre-move meetings,
managing post destination signage, and communicating standard move
and install protocols to customers or related experience.
- Minimum 3 years' experience estimating small to medium move and
install projects to determine manpower, trucks, and equipment
necessary to complete the tasks required or related
- Strong supervisory or managerial skills to lead a
- Advanced MS Excel knowledge.
- Proficient in MS Office applications.
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Valid California driver's license and driving record that meets
the company's insurance carrier requirements. Preferred:
- Prior experience in a senior or leadership role.
- Service industry experience highly desirable.
- Experience with process improvement teams.
- Must complete Mover I & II, Supervisor I & II, and Project
Manager I level Corovan University training and pass the written
- May be required to pass Installer I, II, and III, or be a
qualified and approved Driver I or II.
San Jose. Various job sites and customer locations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Individuals are required to be
able to sit or stand for long periods as needed throughout the
- Walking: May require walking primarily on a level surface but
may include walking on uneven or inclined surfaces for lengthy
periods throughout the day, often up and down stairs.
- Handling: Seizes, helps, or works with hands.
- Lifting: Proper lifting techniques required. May include
lifting up to 75 pounds and pushing or pulling up to 150 pounds
throughout the day. Pushing or pulling assignment may need to be
done with inclines. May also include climbing or descending stairs
while carrying goods up to 50 pounds.
- Reaching: Extend hands and arms in any direction, reaching
above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as
- Standing: Remains in standing position if required to perform
various functions of the job.
- Stooping: Bends body downward and forward by bending at knees
- Vision: Reads paperwork and records on the computer.
- Talking: Communications by phone, email, text, and in
- Sitting: May be required to sit at desk. May sit for long
periods of time.
- Stairs: May also include climbing or descending stairs while
carrying goods up to 50 pounds.
- Heights: May include working at height on a loading dock up, or
on a lift-gate. POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
- This is a full-time, Non-exempt position.
- Employees may be required to work late evenings or weekends
depending on the business needs.
- All Overtime must be approved by manager before working.
Monthly travel to company and/or customer sites in the Bay area may
The Company provides equal employment opportunities to all
employees and applicants for employment activities and prohibits
discrimination and harassment of any type, based on their actual or
perceived: race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry,
physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic
information, marital status (including registered domestic
partnership status), sex and gender (including pregnancy,
childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender
identity and gender expression (including transgender individuals
who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be
transitioning to the gender with which they identify), age (40 and
over), sexual orientation, Civil Air Patrol status, military and
veteran status and any other consideration protected by federal,
state or local law (collectively referred to as "protected
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or
contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time
with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner
discriminate against employees or applicants because they have
inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of
another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as
a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of
other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise
have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is
(a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance
of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an
investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the
contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR
Keywords: Corovan, San Jose , Project Manager I, Executive , San Jose, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...