Electrical Engineering Manager
Location: San Jose
Posted on: March 18, 2023
Hyphen is a foodservice platform designed to help restaurant
owners, operators, and budding chefs move their businesses forward
by putting their kitchen operations on autopilot. We are addressing
the operational complexities in the kitchen with the use of
AI-based software and robotics. We help restaurants augment their
workforce, reduce food waste, and ensure meals are created the way
their chef intended.
Founded in 2020, our team is composed of leaders in advanced
food-robotics, food-tech, and food-service - we know kitchens and
the equipment that makes them run. We've seen the challenges that
restaurants face as dining preferences continue to shift, and we're
here to help them adapt. We champion thoughtful, human-centered
design, and we see its potential to improve our daily lives.
After experiencing a crucible moment amidst the global pandemic in
2020 (you can read more), Hyphen was born to help restaurants in a
time of need. Today, we have customers across the US with
reservations for hundreds of systems to design, build, and
We've raised over $50M from top VCs and we're growing rapidly. We
have offices in the Bay Area and Los Angeles, with many of our
roles open to partial or fully remote work. We're a team of food
and technology enthusiasts, laser focused on revolutionizing the
restaurant landscape together.
- Hyphen's Hardware Engineering Team is seeking an experienced
Electrical Engineering Manager to join our team. This individual
must possess an understanding of electrical power systems design,
sensor selection, and cable design, and the ability to oversee
development of custom PCBAs and embedded FW. You will directly
manage the electrical engineering team, and work closely with
program management and the mechanical, software and product teams
in support of Hyphen's complex robotic products.
What You'll Do:
- Develop the overall power architecture for our complex robotic
- Design and/or select sensors and components for power systems,
motion control, vision systems for robotic kitchen
- Determine make/buy decisions for electrical components
- Oversee development of custom PCBAs and associated FW
- Rapidly advance knowledge and reduce risk via prototyping and
drive designs from concept through pilot manufacturing to full
release and test/scale
- Drive system integration and component/system
- Ensure all systems will pass UL and other required
- Provide support to manufacturing & fielded systems
- Work closely with other professionals in hardware, software,
product, culinary, and operations teams to develop the equipment
and process controls for robotic equipment
- Generate strong production documentation
- Manage assembly activities of in house and outsourced resources
for machine builds and commissioning
- Train Maintenance and Production teams to support automated
equipment after deployment into production
- Debug and optimize automated processes to minimize cycle time,
improve availability, yield, and cost
- Expect domestic travel up to 10% to support the design and
Who You Are:
- You have a bachelor's degree in electrical or computer
engineering or equivalent in experience or ability.
- You have previous experience managing a team of electrical and
- You have demonstrated the ability to rapidly drive innovative
designs from concept to production.
- You're highly skilled at PCBA desig using Altium
- You have 8+ years of experience designing electrical systems
that have shipped at scale.
- You have 5+ years of experience developing production worthy
- You have experience in implementing low-level hardware drivers
(The current stack is C/C++).
- You have experience in defining, following, and implementing
interfaces to higher-level systems.
- You have experience in controlling motors, homing sequences,
and encoder setup and usage.
- You have experience in interfacing with 24V industrial GPIO
- You have experience in designing robust and fault detecting
- You have experience obtaining UL listing for electronic
- You have experience managing third-party development partners,
suppliers, and contractors.
- Ability to develop custom PCBAs and the firmware that drives
- You have consumer product design experience and experience
designing products for scale.
- You have experience with food processing equipment.
- You have experience with developing equipment or products for
regulated industries such as restaurant, medical, aerospace, or
- You're a fast learner who can thrive in a fast-paced, often
ambiguous, start-up environment.
- You have experience with procurement and supply chain
management for custom and OEM components and tooling.
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% company paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for the
employee with 75% coverage for each dependent
- Unlimited paid time off + 15 paid holidays
- 401(k) plan
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not
discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national
origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran
status, or disability status.
Keywords: AgFunder, San Jose , Electrical Engineering Manager, Executive , San Jose, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...