Guest Experience Manager
Location: San Jose
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Job Title: Guest Experience Manager
Department: Guest Experience
Primary Job Location: SAP Center at San Jose & Tech CU Arena
Reports to: Sr. Director, Guest Experience & Security POSTING
DATED: August 25, 2022
Born in 1991 by emerging through a shark's mouth, Team Teal has
grown into a multi-faceted organization that includes the SAP
Center, the NHL San Jose Sharks, the AHL San Jose Barracuda, three
Sharks Ice facilities, and the non-profit Sharks Foundation.
Additionally, we plan on growing our organization through expansion
in the Bay Area and surrounding communities in Northern
We work and play in Silicon Valley, and are deeply influenced by
the technology, innovation, diversity, and commitment to excellence
that surrounds us. Our culture is transforming to reflect those
values, with an eye towards a pioneering, forward-thinking, and
inclusive environment in sports and entertainment.
We live, work, and innovate by a set of Pioneering Principles:
T - Team success is more important than individual success E -
Exceptional experience is non-negotiable in everything we do A -
Appreciate others for their diversity and opinions M - More risk
leads to more rewards and expands our comfort zones
T - Trust that all teammates have the best intentions E - Empower
all teammates to make informed decisions A - Always say what you
really mean and do what you say L - Lead by showing the respect to
others you expect from them
We strive to unite people through a shared love of ice sports,
entertainment, and our hometown. We are Teal Together; we are Team
Embody the TEAM TEAL Pioneering Principals to create Exceptional
Experiences for team members, guests and event's performing at SAP
Center, Sharks Ice and Tech CU Arena.
The Guest Experience Manager, acting under the direction of the Sr.
Director of Guest Experience and Security, is responsible for the
day-to-day management of the Ushering, Event Security, Event
Medical and Guest Experience functions at SAP Center, Sharks Ice
and Tech CU Arena. This role has an emphasis on event and staff
preparation, and a utilization of crowd management best practices
to empower the frontline part time team to provide our guests with
a consistent level of impressive service that exceeds their
expectations and enhances their entertainment experience. This
position collaborates with the operational departments leads to
ensure all event needs are met.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead with a positive attitude and demonstrate commitment to all
- Focus on the experience of all stakeholders, continuously
evaluating the processes to identify improvements.
- Collaborate within department management and company to achieve
- Provide strong people leadership; implement strategies to
effectively manage Team Members and improve the efficiency and
effectiveness of department's people resources.
- Identify best practices, products, and new services to enhance
the guest experience, and department efficiencies.
- Resolves concerns quickly to a positive outcome.
People Management Responsibilities:
- Establish goals and objectives for assigned team.
- Empower frontline team members to consistently practice desired
performance that enhances the guest's entertainment
- Train, evaluate, and foster growth and development of Team
- Counsel team members on proper job performance and the need to
create a positive, safe guest experience for all events. (Written
- Responsible for counseling, conducting appraisals and
termination of department employees.
- Develop and implement on the job training for the Guest
Experience team on a reoccurring basis with a focus on safety and
guest service excellence.
- Oversee and coordinate the workload and tasks of part-time
support staff in area of responsibility.
- Develop Guest Experience Coordinators to ensure position goals
and requirements are met.
- Collaborate with Department Management on creation,
implementation and maintenance of department onboarding and
continuing education training.
- Support the Pioneering Principals Recognition plan for
frontline team members.
- Communicate Guest Experience philosophy to all departments'
employees and keeps peers advise of guest experience and safety
issues and opportunities.
- Implement process and support systems that consistently measure
and improve performance.
- Responsible for analyzing information regarding staffing
levels, turnover rates, tenure averages and termination percentages
for assigned positions.
- Contribute to the development of cross departmental training
programs in support of Team Teal efforts to provide best-in-class
- Communicate and cultivate safety and emergency management
culture within department and company framework.
- Identify and develop staff for department support
- Follow all organizational labor guidelines, human resources
policies and regulations, monitors for compliance.
- Participate and liaison with union stewards.
- Active member of the PMP Management Team.
Event Coordination Responsibilities:
- Attend the weekly Operations Managers meeting.
- Meet with booking managers and touring event representatives to
determine security and other guest service requirements for each
- Ensure that all ADA regulations, building and event credentials
and building and event policies are communicated and implemented
- Determine door openings, uniforms, priority status, report
times and search for all events.
- Responsible for managing assigned areas performance during
events, serves as department lead as applicable.
- Ensures that set up team is briefed and has needed information
to set department areas pre-event.
- Coordinate door opening and line management with appropriate
- Oversee the Ticket Scan process and event attendance
- Oversee Team Services program ensuring team members are
appropriately staffed and trained for Sharks/Barracuda Team
- Oversees the creation and distribution of supplemental event
notes, fact sheets, etc.
- Collaborates with Booking Department on the creation of event
- Coordinates third party staffing assistance as applicable.
- Ensures that staffing numbers are distributed to police and
auxiliary security as applicable.
Guest Experience and Security Responsibilities:
- Responsible for recruiting, selecting, hiring, and developing
full-time and part-time employees of the team.
- Implement and refine People Management Plan within area of
- Respond to guest-related incidents requiring manager's
involvement throughout events such as lost children, relocations,
injuries, stolen tickets, evictions, etc.
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of all applicable
regulations for emergency preparedness, security, and similar
- Conduct pre-event and post-event briefing for supervisors and
- Implement Guest Experience philosophy in area of responsibility
and keep peers advised of guest services policies and issues.
- Identify best practices, budgetary items, and services to
enhance the guest experience.
- Develop, document, and implement building policy and
- Consult with Sr. Director of Guest Experience & Security on
personnel, event, and guest matters.
- Administer Aware Manager system, create and implement use and
champion purpose throughout the organization.
- Collaborate and develop training programs in the Litmos dojo
that incrementally improve the performance of department team
- Assist with handling sensitive situations including injuries,
incidents involving alcohol, and unruly guests.
- Provide budgetary reporting and analytic assistance to Sr.
Director, Guest Experience & Security.
- Document and maintains assigned area standard operating
- Respond to guest concerns via phone, e-mail, and letter or in
- Assists with the department budget and reporting.
- Creates after incident action reports as applicable.
- Will perform other duties as assigned.
- BS / BA or equivalent.
- 1- 3 years of proven experience in the guest services, event,
security industry; with 1-2 years of supervisory experience
- Prior building or physical security experience and/or knowledge
of security operations a plus.
- Prior event medical planning experience or knowledge a
- Bi-lingual a plus.
- Strong project management skills and ability to
- Strong presentation skills in addition to strong verbal and
written communication skills.
- Excellent ability to establish rapport with others and ability
to build strong interpersonal relationships.
- It is imperative that you can work independently without
supervision, be self-directed and demonstrate initiative.
- Exhibit good judgment and decision-making skills, as well as
ability to manage your own time and implement your own
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work well under
- Strong organizational skills, time management skills and
attention to detail required.
- Develop and maintain excellent guest/employee service via
creative problem solving/communication skills (written and
- Work cooperatively with staff in other departments and
- Demonstrate working knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite
- Demonstrate working knowledge of incident management programs
- Must be able to speak to large groups of people.
- Ability to be flexible, to coordinate and juggle numerous
priorities and projects and meet deadlines without sacrificing
- Maintain acceptable attendance and punctuality.
- This job will require availability to work shifts outside of
SSE's typical business hours. With advance notice, you may be
scheduled to work evenings, weekends, and holidays. A successful
Ushering and Emergency Medical Manager will demonstrate a clear
understanding that most of the events take place between the hours
of 5:00 p.m. and 12:00 a.m., including work on holidays and
What We Offer:
- Competitive base salary and performance-based variable pay (if
- A robust package of health/ dental/vision benefits.
- Central office location in downtown Oakland; extremely
convenient access to BART, and major freeways.
- The opportunity to work with a variety of passionate
individuals, committed to innovating
- exceptional sports and entertainment opportunities in our
- An inclusive culture which values diversity of background and a
passion to improve our SSE's
- commitment to change with impact on our community and
This position is not eligible for U.S. work authorization
Our Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging
Here at Team Teal, we recognize and celebrate that individuals come
with a wealth of experience and talent well beyond any list of
required skills and qualifications - in fact, we believe diversity
of backgrounds and skills, combined with passion, are the most
important keys to meaningful innovation and excellence. Therefore,
we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
Please let us know if you require accommodations during the
interview process. Sharks Sports and Entertainment is an equal
opportunity employer. We enthusiastically accept our responsibility
to make employment decisions without regard to race, religious
creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender
expression, national origin, marital status, medical condition as
defined by state law (genetic characteristics or cancer), physical
or mental disability, military service or veterans' status,
pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, genetic
information, or any other classification protected by applicable
federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Notice to Recruiters and Agencies
SSE recruits' candidates directly, rather than through third-party
recruiters or agencies. Under no circumstances will SSE pay a fee
for candidates submitted or presented without a signed recruiting
agreement in place between SSE and the recruiter or agency prior to
the submittal; any submittal must be for requisition specifically
and individually assigned in writing by SSE's HR department. In the
case of candidate(s) submitted or presented to SSE by a recruiter
or agency without a signed agreement AND written assignment by SSE
Human Resources, SSE explicitly reserves the right to pursue and
hire those candidate(s) with no financial obligation to the
recruiter or agency.
- Do you now, or will you in the future require sponsorship for
U.S. work authorization?
- If you are not currently located in the San Jose area, would
you consider relocating?
- Were you referred to this position by anyone?
- Are you a veteran of the United States armed forces?
Keywords: AEG, San Jose , Guest Experience Manager, Executive , San Jose, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!