Information Technology Projects & Business Operations Manager (IT Project & Administration Manager)
Company: Valley Water
Location: San Jose
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Information Technology Projects & Business Operations Manager (IT
Project & Administration Manager)
Salary: $13,232.27 - $16,900.00 Monthly
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 01397-E
Location: CA, CA
Department: Information Technology
Closing: 1/24/2022 11:59 PM Pacific
IT Projects and Business Operations Unit (Position Code 0834)
COVID-19 vaccination requirement:
*To protect our most valuable assets, our employees, as well as the
communities we serve, Valley Water requires all new hired Valley
Water personnel to be fully vaccinated (for COVID -19) or to be
formally excused from the requirement through the **reasonable
accommodation process (for details, see bottom of job posting).
Valley Water Telework Program: Eligibility for telework will depend
on the type of work performed, operational needs, and the ability
for the employee to perform the essential functions of their job
duties while teleworking. Employment with Valley Water requires
employees to work within 150 miles of their primary physical work
location located in (San Jose, Sacramento) California by their
This position is eligible for a hybrid telework schedule, typically
working 40% remote and 60% onsite.
Are you a seasoned IT project manager who thrives by building
strong cross-functional relationships, implementing new large-scale
projects, and leading people through change?
Our Information Technology (IT) Division is seeking an experienced
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY PROJECTS AND BUSINESS OPERATIONS MANAGER to
manage Valley Water's IT project and service portfolios, governance
program, budget, and business operations. Working under the Deputy
Administrative Officer of Information Technology, the IT Projects
and Business Operations Manager will help drive IT strategy, mature
processes, and capabilities, and build strong partnerships within
our customer centric culture.
Santa Clara Valley Water District is a premier Water District in
Santa Clara County, supplying wholesale water, providing flood
protection, and serving as environmental stewards for clean, safe
creeks and healthy ecosystems. The District serves approximately
two million people in 15 cities: Campbell, Cupertino, Gilroy, Los
Altos, Milpitas, Monte Sereno, Morgan Hill, Mt. View, Palo Alto,
San Jose, Santa Clara, Saratoga and Sunnyvale, and the towns of Los
Altos Hills and Los Gatos, and manages 10 dams and surface water
reservoirs, three water treatment plants, a state-of-the-art water
quality laboratory, 400 acres of groundwater recharge ponds, and
275 miles of streams.
The IT Projects and Business Operations Manager is responsible for
managing an operating budget in excess of $17 million, a $5M+
annual capital budget, and a project portfolio that includes 10
open IT capital projects and 74 internal projects. The IT Projects
and Business Operations Unit provides essential IT project
management and administrative services that include compliance,
procurement coordination, strategic planning, budget, reporting,
contract management, internal audit planning and coordination,
policy development, governance, IT service and software portfolio
management, and other critical services.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manages some of the IT Divisions most impactful projects.
- Manages the IT Division project portfolio and service
- Identifies opportunities for project/service
- Manages and oversees staff responsible for project management,
complex analysis, program development, compliance, policy
development, strategic planning, budget, reporting and financial
- Manages the Division's Customer Partnership Program, building
and maintaining relationships with key business stakeholders.
- Coordinates the District's Information Technology Governance
Program, facilitating stakeholder buy-in and overseeing change
management for new IT applications and projects.
- Assists IT Division with evaluating and maintaining compliance
with complex cybersecurity and information technology
- Ensures the effective communication of projects and changes to
facilitate adoption, collaboration, and end-user education.
- Initiates solicitations, including requests for proposal and
sole source requests to provide materials and services; negotiates
and executes contracts; prepares and submits Board Agenda items for
contract approval; and administers and manages contracts ensuring
compliance with all requirements.
- Ensures review and approval of IT hardware and software
- Serves as Division's primary contact for Request for
Information and Request for Proposals.
- Individually or as a team lead, facilitates all Division
purchases and processes all invoices.
- Facilitates development of all new IT capital projects.
- Responsible for reporting, oversight, transactional analysis,
and compliance with Division's budgets, including developing
projections, multi-year cash flow analyses, cost containment
strategies, and tracking grant funds disbursement.
- Authors administrative, management, operational, staff, legal,
regulatory, and financial reports.
- Manages and participates in the development, design,
implementation, and modification of District-wide and division/unit
specific business applications and platforms; coordinates the
design, development, upgrading, implementation, and testing of new
systems and applications.
- Leads and guides project teams in execution of IT projects,
including developing strategies to complete work and ensuring
compliance with acceptable information services standards and
District procedures.Ideal Candidate's Background Includes:
Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal
experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, and education are
considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top
candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal
candidate criteria listed below.
- Five or more years of experience in analysis, design,
implementation, and management of information systems and
- Four or more years of experience managing complex IT projects
such as enterprise resource planning, enterprise content
management, customer relationship management, Voice over IP, IT
disaster recovery, and cybersecurity.
- Two or more years of direct supervisory experience.
- Experience managing an IT service portfolio, including a
background in ITIL, strong documentation skills, and the ability to
explain technical projects and services using non-technical
- Experience managing budgets in excess of $10,000,000 including
financial planning and reporting.Ideal Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to identify IT issues and opportunities, formulate and
evaluate technology strategies, set priorities, and allocate
resources to effectively coordinate and meet business needs amongst
a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Ability to evaluate and develop improvements to applications
support operations, procedures, policies, or methods.
- Ability to conduct complex applications support research,
evaluate alternatives, make sound recommendations, and prepare
effective technical reports.
- Ability to adapt to complex and challenging software
- Ability to apply the relevant procedures, policies, and
- Proven track record of managing multiple high-profile projects
simultaneously and delivering results with limited
- Strong relationship-building and collaboration skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven track record of customer-focused and solutions-oriented
- Strong change management skills and experience.Ideal Training
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university
with major coursework in management information systems, computer
science, business or public administration, or a related
- PMP (Project Management Professional) & ITIL (Information
Technology Infrastructure Library) Certifications Preferred
Required License or Certificate
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid
California driver's license. Individuals who do not meet the
driver's license requirement due to a disability will be considered
for a reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
To review the Job Description, please click
(1) The selection process may include one or more of the following:
application review, application assessment, performance exercise,
written exercise and/or interview.
(2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions
and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal
candidate criteria listed above. Resumes are highly
NOTE: Position and start date is subject to availability of funds.
Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed
Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the
COVID-19 vaccination requirement:* Fully vaccinated means (1) it
has been at least two weeks since a person has completed the entire
recommended series of a COVID-19 vaccine, and (2) the person has
provided proof of vaccination in a form consistent with the
requirements for verification of vaccine status in the State of
California's July 26, 2021 Public Health Officer Order.**Limited
Exemptions to Vaccination RequirementAn individual who has been
provided a job offer may request a reasonable accommodation to the
vaccination requirement if they:1. Have a contraindication
recognized by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
(CDC) or by the vaccine's manufacturer to every approved COVID-19
vaccine. A contraindication means a condition that makes
vaccination inadvisable;2. Have a disability and are requesting an
exception as a reasonable accommodation based upon this disability;
or,3. Object to COVID-19 vaccination based on their sincerely held
religious belief, practice, or observance.
Valley Water's Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is
available for review upon request.
Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination
process to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise
Human Resources in advance of any special needs by calling
Please be aware that once submitted all application materials
become the property of Valley Water and will not be returned. Human
Resources staff are not authorized to make copies of application
materials for applicants.
To apply, please visit
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Keywords: Valley Water, San Jose , Information Technology Projects & Business Operations Manager (IT Project & Administration Manager), Executive , San Jose, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!