Location: San Jose
Posted on: January 15, 2022
Job Description SummaryJob DescriptionBe part of something
bigger!BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies
in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving
medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. We have
over 65,000 employees and a presence in virtually every country
around the world to address some of the most challenging global
health issues.Job Summary:As part of the Customer Education
Services group, the Laboratory Manager will be responsible for
managing and maintaining the sample prep lab and the flow cytometry
and other lab equipment in the BD San Jose, CA training center. The
successful candidate will work on problems of diverse scope under
the direction of the Education Services Manager or designated
mentor, exercising judgment within defined procedures to determine
the appropriate action. Normally receives no instructions on
routine work, and general instructions on new assignments. There is
no direct report responsibility in the position.Job
responsibilities include preparation of biological samples (-70% of
the time), analysis of flow cytometry data, troubleshooting and
maintenance of instrumentation and creation and maintenance of lab
protocols and lab workflows. Identifying needs and problems and
recommending improvements.Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares biological samples (human blood, cell lines, tissues,
etc) for use in customer training courses, demos, and onsite
customer support visits. Tests samples by flow cytometry with
minimal assistance and troubleshoots common problems.
- Writes and edits laboratory protocols and trains others in
laboratory procedures and safety practices.
- Maintains and restocks laboratory supplies and reagents. Tracks
and performs routine maintenance on the training center's flow
cytometers and other lab equipment. Arranging equipment replacement
(writing CB2s), service, and repair.
- Writes new protocols as needed. Implements new programs, tests,
methods, instrumentation, and procedures by investigating
alternatives; preparing proposals; developing and performing
parallel testing; monitoring progress.
- Resolves laboratory problems by consulting with subject matter
experts in the department and in other functions such as R&D
- Analyzes workflows and reagents and other lab supply
consumption and makes adjustments to streamline processes and
- Assists in the maintenance of good laboratory procedures
including the operation of a clean and efficient laboratory,
documentation of all work, and good record keeping. Coordinate and
maintain laboratory safety procedures including biohazardous and
chemical waste management.
- Train new laboratory personnel on established laboratory
procedures, scheduling, safety and equipment maintenance.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending
educational workshops; reviewing professional publications;
establishing personal networks; participating in professional
- Promotes a safe work environment. May provide recommendations
on maintaining the safety of the work environment.
- Participates in Environmental Health and Safety programs.
Addresses corrective actions whenever a hazard is identified.
Notifies supervisor of all observed hazardous conditions or unsafe
- Performs other related duties and assignments as
- B.S. in a biological science and three years laboratory
experience or equivalent combination of related technical education
- Experience working with biological samples, including human
blood, cell lines, tissues, etc. and preparing samples using
various methods to isolate cells of interest (eg, separation of
mononuclear cells from whole blood using Ficoll-Paque---)
- Experienced laboratory skills including preparation of
solutions, cell counting, staining of cells with immunofluorescent
markers, cell culture, and laboratory safety precautions.
- Multicolor flow cytometry and panel design experience highly
- Familiarity with MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint.
- Effective organization and planning skills.
- Effective written, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Proven ability to multitask and work in an environment that
requires flexibility with changing schedules and priorities to meet
business needs, sometimes with short notice.
- Demonstrated ability to do physical activities such as walking
back and forth between buildings to pickup/drop off supplies and to
lift up to 50 lbs.Employment at BD is contingent upon the Company's
receipt of sufficient proof that you are or will be fully
vaccinated against COVID-19. Consistent with BD's Workplace
Accommodations Policy, requests for accommodation will be
considered pursuant to applicable law.Why join us?A career at BD
means being part of a team that values your opinions and
contributions and that empowers you to bring your authentic self to
work. Here our associates can fulfill their life's purpose through
the work that they do every day.You will learn and work alongside
inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and
committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding
culture. Our Total Rewards program - which includes competitive
pay, benefits, continuous learning, recognition, career growth, and
life balance components - is designed to support the varying needs
of our diverse and global associates.To learn more about BD visit
https://jobs.bd.com/Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully
discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex,
creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or
domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics,
disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other
protected status.#LI-PROPrimary Work LocationUSA CA - San
JoseAdditional LocationsWork Shift
Keywords: BD, San Jose , Laboratory Manager, Executive , San Jose, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!