Manager, Chaos Engineering
Location: San Jose
Posted on: September 15, 2018
Our CompanyAt Adobe, we're changing the world. How? We give people the tools to bring their ideas to life and create content that makes life more fun and work more meaningful. We give businesses and organizations the power to truly engage their customers. We're the ones behind the gorgeously designed content that streams across your laptop, TV, phone, and tablet every day-and we're the ones who harness the massive power of big data to help companies move from data to insight and insight to action by delivering content that people crave most.We're a company that understands that product innovation comes from people innovation, and that's why we invest in cultivating leaders throughout the organization. If you're passionate about leading from where you sit, join us.The challengeAdobe believes in hiring the very best. We are known for our vibrant, dynamic and rewarding workplace where personal and professional fulfillment and company success go hand in hand. We take pride in creating exceptional work experiences, encouraging innovation and being involved with our employees, customers and communities. We invite you to discover what makes Adobe a place where exceptional people thrive.Click this link to experience A Day in the Life at Adobe: Adobe Marketing Cloud gives you a complete set of analytics, social, advertising, targeting and web experience management solutions and a real-time dashboard that brings together everything you need to know about your marketing campaigns. So you can get from data to insights to action, faster and smarter than ever.What you'll doChaos Engineering is the discipline of intentionally injecting failures into systems in order to improve the system's ability to withstand these failures in production. Many of the extended outages in distributed systems occur when each individual service is behaving as intended, but unexpected interactions between services leads to a chaotic outcome.
The Manager, Chaos Engineering will lead a team of highly talented engineers and together you will build the pillars of our Chaos Engineering foundation; Observability, Fault Injection, Anomaly Detection, and Auto-Remediation. The objective is to relentlessly improve performance and resilience of Adobe's Cloud Platform, which is comprised of thousands of systems, request rates in the hundreds of thousands per second and data measured in petabytes.
- Attract, retain, mentor and lead engineers who demonstrate systems level thinking, understanding of sound architectural principles and have the ability to think quickly on their feet-- Researching of cutting edge software
- Drive the development and execution of tools focused on chaos, anomaly detection, and auto-remediation.
- Inspire your team to continuously update and sharpen their skills to keep a cloud scale system operational - approaching these problems from both a systems and software engineering perspective.
- Design, implement, and support high-performance, highly-available services and infrastructure
- Build and maintain models for growth and capacity planning
- Work closely with product development, program management, operational, and engineering peers to develop innovative technical tools and solutions
- Organize and manage multiple simultaneous projects
- Practice and enforce Agile and Scrum methodologies
- Lead by example, care for your team, and establish credibility with the quality of your and your team's technical execution
- Solve risk management related challengesMinimum Qualifications
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience in delivering highly scalable and resilient software applications.
- Experience with software engineering best practices including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Demonstrable experience as a Software Engineer.
- Demonstrable experience leading geographically dispersed teams
- Demonstrable experience working in a high volume, large deployment, multi-datacenter environment
- Capability to program in at least three languages, ideally Python or Perl, but Ruby, C/C++, Java, or others are okayAdditional Preferred Qualifications
- Experience with Unix/Linux systems with scripting experience in Shell, Perl or Python
- Strong knowledge of core protocols and tech such as: TCP/IP, HTTP, DNS, load balancers, distributed file systems, key-value and relational databases
- Extensive experience with configuration management tools such as Puppet, Chef, Salt, or Ansible
- Experience with specific software such as Hadoop, Kafka, Spark, CouchBase, and similar technologies is desirable, but the ability to quickly learn new technology is most important
- Experience with container-based platform like Mesosphere, Docker, Kubernetes, and similar technologies
- Capable of technical deep-dives into code, networking, systems, and storage with very bright, experienced engineers
- Expertise in problem solving and analyzing global scale distributed systems.
- Work with product delivery teams to identify architectural issues and ensure timely and smooth delivery of features into operations.
- Identify gaps in processes, skills, tooling, technology choices and work with upper management to drive improvements within the organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in order to influence architectural and process level change in the organization.
- Generally requires 8-11 years related experienceAt Adobe, you will be immersed in an exceptional work environment that is recognized throughout the world on Best Companies lists. You will also be surrounded by colleagues who are committed to helping each other grow through our unique Check-In approach where ongoing feedback flows freely.If you're looking to make an impact, Adobe's the place for you. Discover what our employees are saying about their career experiences on the Adobe Life blog and explore the meaningful benefits we offer.Adobe is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.
Keywords: Adobe, San Jose , Manager, Chaos Engineering, Engineering , San Jose, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!