Senior SharePoint Administrator (Enterprise Principal Technology Analy
Company: City Of San Jose-IT Department
Location: San Jose
Posted on: February 21, 2021
About the Department
The City of San Jos-- is creating the civic technology foundation
that helps our community thrive!
As the Capital of Silicon Valley and 10th largest city in the
nation, the City of San Jos-- manages a large array of services and
assets. The City operates on a budget of $4.3 billion, with 7,000
employees all serving over a million residents and businesses
across 180 square miles.
The City aspires to be as innovative as the community we serve. In
that quest, the Information Technology (IT) Team makes its impact
through smart uses of technology by our employees and community. IT
enables vital services through business solutions, cybersecurity,
productivity and collaboration tools, the City Customer Contact
Center, and expert planning. Services are powered by truly great
people, an expansive municipal area network, and a robust
technology infrastructure environment.
We promote work-life integration with a focus on growth to bring
out the best in our team members. Come join us in making San Jose
the most vibrant, equitable, sustainable, and innovative city in
Positions & Duties
The City of San Jos--'s Information Technology Department is
seeking a Senior SharePoint Administrator responsible for design
and implementation of Microsoft's collaboration platform within
organization. The ideal candidate possesses strong technical
experience to design and provide sophisticated solutions utilizing
Microsoft SharePoint platform, ensure SharePoint deployment, and
support services delivery at an enterprise level.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Developing strategy, roadmap, and feature enhancements for a
City-wide enterprise content management and records management
- Defining Physical Architecture, Logical Architecture, and
Capacity Planning and making sure the environment is scalable.
- Developing site Information Architecture plan and administering
best practices and governance procedures for SharePoint Online
- Defining the Information Architecture and Taxonomy and clearly
defining Taxonomy Term Store for the whole Enterprise.
- Implementing best practices and Governance procedures for
SharePoint custom solutions.
- Creating access control policies/plans for SharePoint
- Participating in Architectural Peer Review activities with
other groups such as Database Administration (DBA), Active
Directory (AD), Network and Security teams, to ensure that there is
no point of failure.
- Leading functional migration and modernization of SharePoint
- Leading and facilitating information gathering sessions to
validate business cases.
- Gathering and documenting business and functional
- Defining project deliverable standards and ensuring quality of
customer deliverables and alignment to industry best
- Defining the Detailed Disaster Recovery strategy which aligns
into Enterprise DR strategy.
- Demonstrating knowledge of SharePoint Farms, SharePoint Server
roles, SharePoint installation, configuration and administration,
Central Administration management, and PowerShell administration
- Performing site and data migration tasks between cross farms,
sites, and site objects.
- Creating and maintaining documentation for SharePoint
infrastructures, deployments, and service specifications.
- Collaborating with the Infrastructure and DBA groups on
backup/recovery operations and disaster recovery testing related to
- Working with developers to deploy custom applications and
solutions to production and pre-production environments.
- Managing Service applications and creating web applications and
- Defining and enforcing security rules at the farm and site
- Knowledge of project methodologies (Waterfall, Agile) is
- Responsible for mentoring SharePoint development and support
- Demonstrating the ability to maintain good relationships with
key vendors and working closely with them to understand their
offerings and roadmaps. If you are looking for an exciting
opportunity that presents important challenges, want to help a City
thrive through collaboration technology, and have an excellent
track record leading SharePoint solution, this is the role for
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or
other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment
in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are
considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the
applicants from this recruitment.
Education: A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or
university in a relevant field.
Experience: Five (5) years of professional level experience in
computer applications, systems, networks, or telecommunications
work, of which at least two (2) years include responsibility in the
development, implementation, and maintenance of electronic business
systems/solutions, or application development and/or support.
- Additional years of increasingly responsible directly related
work experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year
basis up to two (2) years.
- Completion of a master's degree in a relevant field from an
accredited college or university may be substituted for one year of
the required two (2) years of experience in the development,
implementation, and maintenance of electronic business
systems/solutions, or application development and/or support.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to
provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country.
Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor,
represent or sign any documents related to visa
applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which
requires an employer application.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as
demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable
competencies for these positions may include:
Job Expertise - Demonstrates knowledge of and experience with
applicable professional/technical principles and practices,
Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state
rules and regulations:
- 5-7 years of experience leading Enterprise Content Management
deployments on SharePoint online is highly desirable.
- Experience in SharePoint and Microsoft 365 architecture with a
full stack specialization.
- Proficient in Microsoft Technology, Enterprise architectures,
and large-scale implementations.
- Advanced knowledge and experience managing SharePoint as an
Intranet and Enterprise Content Management (ECM) and/or Document
Management (DM) collaboration platform.
- Knowledge of SharePoint Server roles; SharePoint installation,
configuration, and administration; central Administration
management; and, PowerShell administration modules.
- Deep technical and architectural understanding of
administrative and functional capabilities of SharePoint Platforms
and SharePoint Online.
- Demonstrates ability to stay current with Application
Architecture best practices, existing and emerging technology
platforms, and architectural and systems engineering industry
- Ability to successfully work on and deliver multiple projects
simultaneously within a small team.
- Ability to define SharePoint integration architecture with
other critical systems.
- Assists in solving technical and performance problems within
the technical infrastructure.
- Knowledge of Microsoft 365 collaboration and productive stack
services (SharePoint online, MS Teams, OneDrive, OneNote, MS Forms,
Power Automate, Delve, PowerApps).
- Ability to develop site Information architecture plan and
administer governance plan for SharePoint Online sites establishes
protocols to monitor third party applications running on SharePoint
Online. Change Management - Demonstrates support for innovation and
for organizational changes needed to improve the organization's
effectiveness; facilitates the implementation and acceptance of
change within the workplace.
Problem Solving - Approaches a situation or problem by defining the
problem or issue; determines the significance of problem; collects
information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or
solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Leadership - Leads by example; demonstrates high ethical standards;
remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a
regular basis; promotes a cooperative work environment, allowing
others to learn from mistakes; provides motivational supports and
Analytical Thinking - Approaches a problem or situation by using a
logical, systematic, sequential approach.
Communication Skills - Effectively conveys information and
expresses thoughts and facts clearly, orally and in writing;
demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness
to other people's ideas and thoughts.
- provided by Dice
Keywords: City Of San Jose-IT Department, San Jose , Senior SharePoint Administrator (Enterprise Principal Technology Analy, Education / Teaching , San Jose, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!