Project Manager, Chancery Office
Company: Diocese of San Jose
Location: San Jose
Posted on: September 24, 2022
The Project Manager for the Diocesan Synod will have leadership
skills in facilitating, communicating and leading projects. This
position will be pivotal to the successful delivery of results in
the planning and implementation process of a Diocesan Synod and in
helping create, manage, and execute project scope, schedules,
resources, and change management. The position will also help in
the logistical implementation of Synod plans working closely with
the Bishop, Vicar General, and Chief Operating Officer.
This role is initially responsible for two main areas of work: (1)
Project managing the Synod process (approx. 40% time) and (2)
successful delivery and logistical implementation of project
outcomes working with parishes, schools and Chancery (approx. 60%
time) and, thereafter, supporting these initiatives and ministry
across the Diocese.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:(other
duties may be assigned)
Vision, Strategy, Leadership:
- Provides organizational, technical, operational, financial, and
managerial support leading up to the Synod process to ensure the
long-term success and sustainability of project goals.
- Provides logistical planning implementation including all
activities, outputs, and outcomes related to project management and
administration, including reporting, budget development and
monitoring, logistics, execution of project plans, and project
- Be the primary liaison and support to the Steering Committee
scheduling meetings, planning agendas, providing training,
communicating updates and reporting regularly to key leadership,
stakeholders and groups.
- Leads change management processes and promotes best practices
in project management, dealing with conflict and addressing any
barriers or resistance to change effectively and using a team
approach, in consultation with the COO.
- Communicates with the COO on all critical operational matters
and provides weekly updates.
- Schedules regular reporting to the Bishop, Cabinet, Priest
Council and Finance Council as requested.
- Effectively communicates with Pastors, Principals, Chancery and
other constituents so that priorities, activities and logistics are
clearly articulated at all levels of the Diocese.
Finances and Operations:
- Conducts monthly reviews to ensure accountability of all
project activities as well as the accurate and timely reporting of
project and financial deliverables and obligations.
- Experience in setting and reviewing budgets and managing
- Gathers data and compiles reports, fiscal and general, which
are requested and required by the Diocese.
- Reviews detailed financials and reports any budgetary issues to
the Chief Operating/Chief Financial Officer.
Collaboration and Communication:
- Responsible for overall communication of the project working in
strong collaboration with the Communication team and COO.
- Develops effective and collaborative relationships with people
across disciplines, levels, and geographies.
- Works with Management / Administration / Pastors to develop
trust within the Diocese to ensure positive working relationships
with parishes, schools, and other internal and external
- Works with theBishop's leadership teamsto create and coordinate
organizational processes and technology needed for thedefinition of
project performance, including definition of goals, objectives,
outcomes, targets, and key performance indicators
- Acts as the primary project contact person and liaison,
ensuring the project is being communicated to all key
- Coordinates organizational relationship with partners and
Chancery leadership related to monitoring and evaluation, providing
support in facilitating technical collaboration and coordination
activities with stakeholders.
- Works closely with the COO to ensure compliance with
programmatic targets and deliverables.
- Promotes the project through presentations, and participation
in meetings, councils and leadership.
- Excellent organizational & administration skills
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and leadership
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the
ability to tailor words and pictures to different audiences and
present credibly to senior leadership teams
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
experience with project management tools, and data management
- Be able to interpret, analyze & present data & statistics in
reports, tables & graphs and able to work with budgets & financial
- Experience of enabling organizational change through project
management and embedding these changes firmly in an
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize data, set actionable goals
and drive metrics and execution.
- Willing to go the extra mile with a strong work ethic;
self-directed and resourceful with the ability to deal with
conflict and drive to solution.
- High integrity and a good reputation.
- Desire and competency to work in diverse racial, ethnic,
cultural and religious settings with commitment to pluralism in the
workplace as well as an understanding of mission.
- Ability to operate flexibly and effectively in a fast-paced,
constantly changing environment.
- Proven ability to work creatively and analytically in a
problem-solving environment with strong teamwork, motivational and
- Must consistently demonstrate professionalism, confidentiality,
discretion, good judgment and poise.
- Strong preference for candidates with expertise/experience in
non-profits and in multicultural settings.
- Demonstrated diplomatic, management, and communication skills
with a variety of groups.
- Excellent people management skills.
THIS POSITION SUPERVISES:
QUALIFICATIONS TO PERFORM THE JOB SUCCESSFULLY:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
carry out each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements
listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability or
physical demands required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions of the position.
Education and/or Experience: Bachelor's degree in a relevant field
from an accredited university with at least 7 years of experience
in project management. Ability to think strategically and act
pragmatically; able to produce plans and deliver results without
losing sight of the strategic context. Proven ability to exercise
discretion, good judgment, and maintain confidentiality. The
ability to listen well, maintain composure, think clearly and
decisively. Excellent communication, facilitating and presenting
skills needed. Adept at collecting, analyzing, and responding to
multiple forms of data. Certification in project management (PMP)
Language Skills: Effective verbal and written communication skills
in English; ability to read and write correspondence, reports, and
procedure manuals; ability to effectively present and explain
information, respond to questions, and provide additional resources
as necessary. Spanish, Vietnamese or other second language
Leadership Skills: Strong ability to provide direction,
inspiration, communication, and guidance. Exhibit confidence,
commitment, and ambition. Nurture the strengths and talents of
employees and build teams committed to achieving common goals.
Computational Skills: Basic math, bookkeeping and budgeting skills
and the ability to use a calculator.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to consider information and options and
make good decisions independently. Ability to think logically,
track sequence of events, and maintain strict confidentiality of
very sensitive situations. Ability to read, analyze and communicate
procedures and policies. Ability to manage and prioritize multiple
Technical Skills: Proficient in Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel,
PowerPoint), Project Management IT systems, Learning Management
Systems, and Content Management Software.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Fingerprint background
clearance through the California Department of Justice and Federal
Bureau of Investigations required as a condition of employment.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is usually required to sit for extended periods and to use
hands in repetitive motion tasks. The employee is occasionally
required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee
must frequently move or lift objects up to 40 lbs.
Physical Environment: This position has an office workspace with a
door for privacy and confidentiality. The noise level is usually
low. The employee will work off-site as needed where the physical
environment will vary.
Working Conditions: Employee must be physically present in the
office, able to work cooperatively with diocesan staff, community
entities and clients. This position required occasional weekends
and/or evenings. The employee will travel off-site for meetings as
needed and occasional travel outside the Diocese.
- Must have knowledge of Church structure, culture, and its
- Ability to articulate and communicate the vision, mission, and
philosophy of the Diocese of San Jose.
- Able to demonstrate a successful track record in Project
management, including delivering on multiple projects, often
simultaneously and lead projects with a diverse range of
stakeholders from different disciplines and with differing
- Proven leadership ability with community, religious, social and
- Familiarity with Santa Clara County, and the roles and
responsibilities of parishes and dioceses in the U.S.
- Ability and willingness to operate within a complex, culturally
and economically diverse environment, including a multicultural
To apply: Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Keywords: Diocese of San Jose, San Jose , Project Manager, Chancery Office, Administration, Clerical , San Jose, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!